Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

On 8 Apr 2006 00:20:44 -0700, "Krog7D7" wrote:

Hoping someone can help...

I operate a small door company and we're having a problem with raised
panel end grains.

We have a very expensive shape and sand machine....all set up correctly
etc...

No matter what setups I use when the panels are stained....the end
grains come out very dark and splotchy.

I know the big companies sand end grain effectively. What are some tips
everyone has? I've read some of the other posts but people speak in
generalities.

I need specific tips....any help appreciated.

You should never have to sand a raised panel if it has been cut
properly. Consider large Crown Moulding or other large and complex
wood items - it would be impractical to sand these. Similarly, it
would not be practical to sand raised panels effectively in the
production environment without destroying the fine features (crisp
lines, etc)
When the major manufacturers cut wood they are using large
machines...this allows for very high speed (critical) and also
increased pressure of the wood item against the cutter. The slower the
cutter, the slower the feed rate. The last point is the condition of
the cutter....it needs to be razor sharp.
A few months back a local contractor came to me with a similar
problem. In the end, I find he is cutting raised panels on a table
saw. While that is fine for *home shop* efforts, it is not going to
provide the clean finish of a smooth/closed patina.
I make panels on a Shaper (Grizzly) and only experience *open* end
grain when the cutter is dying.
There is so much more to be said for each point I have mentioned
above. To summarize, the variables a

Cutter condition
Cutter speed
Pressure against cutter
Feed rate

What woods are you cutting and what is the machinery you are using?

One solution is to seal the entire door before stain.