Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

On 8 Apr 2006 00:20:44 -0700, "Krog7D7" wrote:

Hoping someone can help...
I operate a small door company and we're having a problem with raised
panel end grains.
We have a very expensive shape and sand machine....all set up correctly
etc...
No matter what setups I use when the panels are stained....the end
grains come out very dark and splotchy.

Were you able to do this before the machine?
What is the final grit used by this machine? Tried a finer grit? Have
you tried hand sanding afterwards with finer grits? Fine grit in a
flap sander may work depending on profile. A lot depends on your wood,
finishing method, expectations, experience...
Is it just the stain that shows this off, is the stain just soaking
into the poorly sanded areas? Or all end grain areas?
Have you tried a sealer/sizing for the end grain before finishing? Or
other finishing technique (pigment in the finish)?

I know the big companies sand end grain effectively. What are some tips
everyone has? I've read some of the other posts but people speak in
generalities.
I need specific tips....any help appreciated.

Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.