Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Upgrading to 300Amp electric service

Only in the sense that if larger service entrance conductors were installed
you would have less of a voltage drop and losses from resistive heating that
you would otherwise under very heavy loads. A lot depends on the length of
the drop. If all the facts are known, it can be calculated with reasonable
accuracy (the resistance of the SE conductors and the resulting voltage drop
as a fuinction of current used).

You would have to be using most of that 300A most of the time to see a
difference though. It probably would reduce the incidence of lamp dimming
under heavy load conditions.

I don't think it would make any diffenence in your bill whatsoever since
metering is done after the SE conductors make it to your house. Any energy
lost in the SE conductors as heat (P=I*V or I^2*R) would not be metered.

"Sanj" wrote in message news:u_zZf.64$ee6.4@trndny01...
My homebuilder says upgrading my electric service to 300 or even 400 Amps
will result in more "efficient" use of electricity by my appliances. Can
one of you experts out there please explain how this is so?