Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default telephone wiring HELP needed !

In article ,
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

(pardon me: D-station wire)

Ding! (Give that man a cigar)

Light Olive-Gray Quad. It was from the actual Western Electric printing on
the D-station wire carton that I learned the proper way to "tin" the end of a
conductor and connect it without pinching (in the threads) to the binding
post. It is a technique that I have used for years and still use today.

In the standard 5 X 5 color matrix, the tip colors a
white, red, black, yellow, violet

Why Run Backward You Varmint

the ring colors a
blue, orange, green, brown, slate

There was a catchy phrase for these but it was never important to remember
because the actual colors, used so regularly, quickly became as basic as
red/green, yellow/black had been (and still is).

starting with the first tip color, and the first ring color, and incrementing
ring color, then tip color, you get 25 pairs.

You should see what it takes to repair 1800-pairs when a directional boring
bit "spears" the cable dead center - and clear through. Call before you dig.
--

JR