Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop

Default Skew problems

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
My problem is with small, narrow beads, not the larger ones. I seem to
be able to make wider curves, but the tiny two or three part beads, like
those decorating bowl rims, etc., are the ones I can't seem to create
well. They are harder to visualize, but that doesn't seem to be an
issue. What is a problem is my ability to roll the skew smoothly to
round a, say, 1mm bead. I'm wondering if a skew with rolled edges might
help. I can actually do slightly better with a fine detail gouge, but
I'd really like to get these things down with a skew. I guess I'm just
pedantic enough to want to be competent with every tool.

Small beads are a problem, and I touched on this in an earlier post:
" Another common problem is trying to cut beads which are too small. The
problem here is that the skew still needs to swing and rotate through the
same wide arc, but on a small bead it has to do so over very little
forward movement. This requires considerable coordination. "

For anything smaller than about 5mm across, I still tend to use a spindle
gouge. At these sizes they are just as fast and leave an adequate surface
quality.

Do you really mean 1mm? I could hardly see a bead that small, let alone
turn one!

I saw a local turner's works last summer, and several of his pieces had
lovely tiny beads decorating the rims or occasionally on the throat of a
hollow form vase. I should have asked him how he did them. They seemed to
be around 1mm in size, but measured from valley to valley, I suspect they
were larger. As you say 1mm is really small.

As for decorating a bowl rim, I would use a spindle gouge every time. I
wouldn't go near a bowl with a skew chisel.

Probably good advice for me, especially since I'm not that adept yet with a
skew. And while on the subject, will a skew cut endgrain smoothly? I've
never tried.

I keep a small spindle gouge for turning small beads, both on spindles and
bowls. It has a very long side grind and an acute sharpening angle. This
allows it to make a quite narrow V-groove between adjacent beads to cast a
deep shadow and give a nice crisp look.

But if you are getting anywhere near being able to turn a 1 mm bead with a
skew, keep at it. I would say that you are truly pushing your skill level
and will make a great turner.

I'm far from there at this point, but it would be nice to be able to do some
finer detail work that might help distinguish my work in the future.

I have a small detail gouge with which I'm getting better. I can do far
better beads with it than with a skew. It's really a great little tool, and
I'm sure I'll be inclined to use it instead of the skew if I'm doing some
piece for keeps.

Your advice is greatly appreciated, Derek.

Max