Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default MityVac (( was What's Wisconsin chrome (was C-5 crash))

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:52:33 -0500, the renowned Rex B
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:47:49 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:25:51 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:

Sooo..You might be a redneck if you ever cleared your sinuses with a
Mityvac brake bleeder.

I've been an EMT for a dozen years or so, so I have a bit of basis for
this statement - that's pretty much all we're going to use in the back
of an ambulance anyway. Some of the hand-powered suction units have a
remarkable resemblance to a Mityvac.
After my wife had been in labor for 44 hours,
they told us they could do a C-section or try
"the vacuum". The vacuum was the equivilent
of a Mityvac with a hose and a little plastic
cap. They stuck the cap on the baby's head,
drew a vacuum, waited for the next contraction
and gave a pull on the hose. Out popped the kid.
You know what, they did that with both my kids, and I'd bet money that
it was an actual mityvac. I also bet that we paid for it and it went in
the trash, dammit. Oddly enough, my normal scrounger-self wasn't paying
attention to that at the time.

I'm going to copy this to the MityVac rep.
He'll get a kick out of it.

Yeah, the potential liability on something like that would be a real
thigh-slapper.

I bet the medical version has a much higher price that covers the
premiums, plus a profit that would make an extortioner blush.