Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Pressure tank installation

Michael Strickland wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:01:53 GMT, mchoghead wrote:

This is a temporary setup to supply water for outsideuse. I was told I needed a bladderless tank with a volume controllto make it easier to drain water back in the well when disconnectedfor winter months. I am trying to find the easiest way to hook thisup. I have already purchased a bladderless tank and am not familiarwith the standpipe concept but only plan on using in summer monthsand draining for winter months.

You'll probably be required by your electric company to install a "temporary
service" which is simply a post (4X4 was used when they built my house) with
an electrical box mounted on it which holds some breakers and a spot for the
electric company to install a meter. You can simply hook the wiring from the
pump to one or two breakers depending on whether it is 120V or 240V. Need to
make sure the breakers are rated high enough for the pump.

My system was set up very similar to what you want to do while my house was
constructed. There was a wire which came from the temporary service to the
pressure switch. My well (6" drilled) has the casing coming all the way to
the surface, so the water pipe turned to one side after exiting the casing
cover to go to the pressure tank which was sitting on a couple of cement
blocks. There was a T by the pressure tank - one leg from the well, one to
the pressure tank and the other had a short pipe with a hose bib on it. This
was set up by the fella that drilled the well, I later added the
wellhouse/storage building, the changes in plumbing required to accomodate
the building and for mounting a whole house filter in the wellhouse and the
pipe to the house.

Slightly Off-Topic
I'm curious, since I don't have any personal experience with bladderless
tanks, why would a bladderless tank be easier to drain? Turn off the pump,
open a valve and the tank drains - right?

Any small amount of water that may be left in the tank would have plenty of
room to expand if it froze so no damage - pipes should drain to similar
condition if lowest point is opened. I'm not from a cold climate (NW GA),
mebby I'm missing something?

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.

I really don't see the bladderless tank either except that one will
drain faster as air will enter through the air control valve. A
bladder tank has to have the air bubble up through the water trying to
exit. I suppose his plumber has his reason but...

Harry K