Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike hide

Default C-5 crash...Fixable?

"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
| Tom Gardner wrote:
|
| A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted
| out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.
|

| If they still can find the name tag (serial number etc.) then its
| fixable. It might be cheaper to
| buy a new one however.
|
| Bill k7NOM

That model went out of production awhile back (I tried to make that
funny, but it wasn't working.) I'm sure what's left of it will be
worthwhile as spare parts, as they've been flying the hell out of them
lately.
Really major jobs like that are unlikely, as I'm sure the jigs and such
have all been scrapped. Boeing has done work similar in scale to that,
but
only because they were still building that model and were able to provide
huge sections of airplane brand new to replace the smashed up bits.
Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

Lockheed taught Boeing how to build big aircraft........Just like
Dehavilland taught them how to make the 727and BAC taught Douglas how to
make the DC9....