Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Washer and Dryer Hookup Questions.

"phaeton" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello! I don't know where I would be without the helpful folks on this
ng. Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of questions regarding washer and (mostly) dryer
hookup. To make a long story short, we've swapped our washer and dryer
around, i.e. from dryer on the left, washer on the right to dryer on
the right, washer on the left. The reason isn't horribly important,
but I'll summarize it at the end of this for anyone that's curious.

For the washer:

1) Are the hot water/cold water hookup hoses sold in set lengths, or is
it possible to go somewhere and say "make me a set of hoses N inches
long"?

Never seen custom hoses and I sure wouldn't trust the hose repair parts for
this application. If you can't find long enough (steel braided) hoses, buy
two sets and a coupler to connect them together in series.

3) Any special considerations when making a drain trap out of PVC?
Just an "S" shape laying on its side, as long as i consider gravity and
stuff i'm ok, right?

Its called a P trap and they sell the parts in the plumbing isle. make sure
it all flows downhill. If the drain pipe is sealed onto the drain, you also
need an air gap but if just slipped into the pipe with a natural gap, no
problem.

For the dryer:

1) It's a gas dryer, but the gas hookup is now about 54" away.

2) Is it as simple as just getting a really long (60" or 70") flex
connection?

Not sure but if you can buy one that long, its safe to assume its OK to use
it. I don't think I would connect them in series like I suggested with the
water pipes.

3) Is it better to extend the hard line a few feet (with more black
iron pipe) over to the other side so that the 48" flex connection is
adequate?

If you cannot find a longer connection, you will have to do this. If you
can find a 60" or so, than that is better because it is less work.

4) If I extend the hard line, is it possible to buy pre-threaded
sections of pipe like this in set lengths (6", 1', 2', 3', 4' etc)?

Yes, definately they do sell it like that.

5) If I extend the hard line, should I mount the pipe to the wall, or
rest it on something on the floor?

It needs to be rigidly secured to the wall or something permenant.

6) What is the proper protocol for sealing the threads of any gas line
(whether I go with hard line or a longer flex)?

Same as for water but the compound or tape is a bit thicker. Some people
say to use both. buy stuff labeled for gas don't try to use what you have
for water.

7) Where the gas connection is on the dryer is a bit of a tight fit
(with a wall in the way). I'm relatively sure that a flex line can
safely make the bend and still be within spec, but would there be any
objection or disadvantage to putting a 45 or 90 degree elbow on the gas
fitting so that the flex line doesn't have to bend so much?

Should be allowed

8) I have the alumyewminium flexible dryer vent hose that came with the
dryer. Any truth to the rumor that I should always use hard duct with
gas dryer, or will this be fine?

The ripples on the side slow the air down making it collect lint faster and
is harder to clean and it can tear or kink. The trend is toward rigid pipe.
Not sure if it is a code yet.

Thanks for any and all

-phaeton

Reason:
The washer and dryer are front-loading types, the standard 27" width
each. The laundry area where they are intended to go was about 50" in
width. When we looked at the house, the washer and dryer were
staggered, with the washer sitting out in front of the dryer (we saw a
LOT of houses like this when househunting. Did the standard width
change in the last 20 years or something?) We have since cut a hole
into a non-load bearing wall and removed two studs to make room for our
appliances to fit side by side. However, being that they are both
front loaders, the washer door was unable to clear a small piece of
wall on the right hand side (the washer door is hinged on the left, and
the dryer door is hinged on the right. It is obvious that Maytag
intended the washer/dryer to be placed with washer on the left and
dryer on the right anyways).

It's been a learning experience, but as soon as I get this completed
and it all works, the Missus will be ecstatic with me ;-)