Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Is this true about HD ????

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English should be spoken here?

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more
problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in
China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language
of business and commerce.
Don't have any problem with people speaking Esperanto if they want
to amongst their friends, relatives, etc. But English is still the
main language and for assimilation purposes, people need to speak it.

But why does it concern you? If they think it makes life easier to
them, they will learn. What other things would you want to change about
them? I wonder what they might want to change about you? IMO Diversity is
one thing that makes a great country. The fear and hate of diversity is what
makes a terrible country.

So what did they do before they learned English? Most Spanish
speakers in the US are learning or already know English. However I
see no reason to demand it. It should be their choice. I believe
the US is known as the land of the free. That freedom I would guess
should also include freedom of
speech and I don't recall the freedom of speech being restricted

to English.
How you get that, from the constitution, is beyond
comprehension,.

Why do we have to pay for
bilingual teachers to accomadate them when we can't afford to hire
English speaking teachers to educate our children?

That does sound hateful.

There are a number of studies showing that getting non-English
speaking kids out of bilingual classes and into English only schools
increases their grades, etc. Bilingual teaching is a method of
ghettoization.

I might suggest that the question was about signs at Home Depot.

I think that the question of public education should be reviewed.

I might also remind you of the treatment of Native Americans in this
country and forcing their children to not only learn English, but punishing
them for using their native languages. To me that was a truly ugly part of
our history. I see much of the same attitudes showing up here.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit