Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Default Is this true about HD ????

This really has become a hot issue, hasn't it. I am sympathetic to
people who feel that laws ought to be enforced- even as I am dubious
about the practicality of it- are the Solons in D.C. capable of
passing anything that is realistic enough to be enforceable? Strongly
doubt that. People are drawn here by market forces- legally and
otherwise- and these incentives are not weak. Of course it could be
disorienting to find nobody who speaks English at an HD- but this
reflects the customer/ workforce market reality of that particular
location. Hispanic immigration is of course a big wave compared to
that from other areas, but these people do learn English- it is in
their interest, as others have noted. They don't always do so
immediately, but in 30 years they'll be complaining that their grankids
can barely speak Spanish. Remember, the U.S. has been through this
before- late 19/early 20 century. My best friend's Italian grandmother
never did learn to speak English, like many of her generation. Her
daughter was and granddaughter is a shoolteacher, and my friend an
exceptionally literate if underemployed bookstore employee.
I'm not against border control/ enforcement, but find myself
preaching market economics to conservatives, who are all for effective
governmental action. Actions which impact the market could have some
effect on illegal immigration- for example, strong enforcement of wage
and hour laws, reducing incentive for employers to hire illegals. Also,
a high gas tax, which could be rebated to federal tax filers through
some sort of credit, pushing us toward toward energy efficiency. Those
who don't file obviously wouldn't get rebate. Well, I'm probably just
stirring the coals with my "foolish liberal blather."
In general, it has seemed to me as I've gotten older that hypocrisy
makes the world go round; not the most uplifting thought, but it could
be a lot worse. Helped Oskar Schindler save some Jews froim the Nazis.
People imagine that if only we take such and such harsh, draconian
actions, we will finally have an orderly, controlled world, and all
will be hunky dory. I'm sure we could improve the situation- if we act
with some wisdom, some firmness, some compassion, but it's always going
to be a messy, disorderly world- thank god.