Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default C-5 crash...Fixable?

Saw the same - one wing had the foam all flat - which means the press
were kept well away just in case.

I heard the crew for the most part (wondered what that meant) got out easily -
some had fuel spilled upon them.

With a fire in an engine and a wing full of fuel - they did good getting
back to the base and on the grass.

I lost a good friend in the first C5 crash - he was the co-pilot and was
back on the rear gate that would not close during the emergency takeoff.

Big planes don't have many crashes - but make the news when they do.
It was a time that the Air force or other armed forces would have a mishap
once or twice a year. Not in a long time.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Louis Ohland wrote:
Saw a pic on Fox, the front quarter is snapped off and laying at right
angle to the rest. Wings are still attached, some fire on the ground
behind the inboard right engine, but not big. Looks like a puddle of fuel.

Just on Fox again. They had mechanical trouble and were coming back to
land. Went in a couple hundred yards short of the runway in a field. All
fires are out.

Michelle wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle