Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default MSC buys J&L

It is also nice since I have accounts with both - since some tooling is
rep'd by J&L but now by MSC. That is nice.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

john wrote:

Doug White wrote:

wrote:

AL wrote:

Woohoo! I just stumbled across this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060316/1260026.html?.v=1

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good
kick in the ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet
they'll turn them around like they did Enco.

They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted a catalog and set up
an account. I never did business with them before. They said they
will ship next day air and pick up the freight too.

Does anyone know if they are going to continue to operate as J&L, or
are the J&L pieces just going to get absorbed into MSC? I'm short on
space on my catalog shelf, and the J&L catalog is taking up a lot of
room. I suspect they will get consolidated at some point, but maybe
not right away. Enco caters to a sufficiently different market from
MSC, it made sense to keep them separate. Not sure J&L & MSC are
different enough to warrant it.
MSC bought up a local dearler chain in the Northeast a long time ago,
and they changed the names over after 6 months or so. J&L is a much
bigger fish to swallow. One side benefit was the local store had a
BIG sale of all the stuff they carried that MSC didn't. I got quite a
few bargains.

Doug White

I talked to our MSC saleman today and he said that he could sell out of
J& L's truck once the finer points of the deal are settled. He said that
one of the good points of J&L is their catalog. The insert section is a
lot better done than most others. All the types of inserts are grouped
together, threading inserts, turning inserts, indexable drills. They
are not seperately grouped by manufacturer which is a pain if your are
looking for a specific type of insert.

John