Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

Default MSC buys J&L

Woohoo! I just stumbled across this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060316/1260026.html?.v=1

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them around
like they did Enco.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in
the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them around
like they did Enco.

In the end, I bet we (consumers) are the losers here. Competion is a good
thing. Now Enco, MSC, and J&L compete with themselves.

J&L 25% off sales had become so common, that was only way I purchased. My
son, who buys $20K in tooling at a time, routinely got really special deals.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message ink.net...

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in
the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them
around like they did Enco.

In the end, I bet we (consumers) are the losers here. Competion is a good
thing. Now Enco, MSC, and J&L compete with themselves.

J&L 25% off sales had become so common, that was only way I purchased. My
son, who buys $20K in tooling at a time, routinely got really special
deals.

I'll bet the 25% off specials will become a thing of the past, though J&L's
retail prices were high enough that it only came out to 10-15 % off most
other vendors prices in the end, maybe less after shipping was added. Too
bad they weren't bought by McMaster-Carr, whose web site is far easier to
use.

Mike

--
http://NewsGuy.com/overview.htm 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

[...]

A couple times a year I get 20% off coupons from MSC. The odd thing is
they are only good on phone orders, which is a bit of a pain in the neck.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

AL wrote:
Woohoo! I just stumbled across this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060316/1260026.html?.v=1

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them around
like they did Enco.

They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted a catalog and set up an
account. I never did business with them before. They said they will
ship next day air and pick up the freight too.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

AL wrote:
Woohoo! I just stumbled across this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060316/1260026.html?.v=1

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them around
like they did Enco.

They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted a catalog and set up an
account. I never did business with them before. They said they will
ship next day air and pick up the freight too.

Does anyone know if they are going to continue to operate as J&L, or are
the J&L pieces just going to get absorbed into MSC? I'm short on space
on my catalog shelf, and the J&L catalog is taking up a lot of room. I
suspect they will get consolidated at some point, but maybe not right
away. Enco caters to a sufficiently different market from MSC, it made
sense to keep them separate. Not sure J&L & MSC are different enough to
warrant it.

MSC bought up a local dearler chain in the Northeast a long time ago, and
they changed the names over after 6 months or so. J&L is a much bigger
fish to swallow. One side benefit was the local store had a BIG sale of
all the stuff they carried that MSC didn't. I got quite a few bargains.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Doug White wrote:

AL wrote:

[...]

I talked to our MSC saleman today and he said that he could sell out of
J& L's truck once the finer points of the deal are settled. He said that
one of the good points of J&L is their catalog. The insert section is a
lot better done than most others. All the types of inserts are grouped
together, threading inserts, turning inserts, indexable drills. They
are not seperately grouped by manufacturer which is a pain if your are
looking for a specific type of insert.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

It is also nice since I have accounts with both - since some tooling is
rep'd by J&L but now by MSC. That is nice.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

john wrote: