Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default MSC buys J&L

Doug White wrote:

AL wrote:

Woohoo! I just stumbled across this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060316/1260026.html?.v=1

J&L's stores are nice but their mail order business needs a good kick in the
ass. And who better to do it than MSC. I'll bet they'll turn them around
like they did Enco.

They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted a catalog and set up an
account. I never did business with them before. They said they will
ship next day air and pick up the freight too.

Does anyone know if they are going to continue to operate as J&L, or are
the J&L pieces just going to get absorbed into MSC? I'm short on space
on my catalog shelf, and the J&L catalog is taking up a lot of room. I
suspect they will get consolidated at some point, but maybe not right
away. Enco caters to a sufficiently different market from MSC, it made
sense to keep them separate. Not sure J&L & MSC are different enough to
warrant it.

MSC bought up a local dearler chain in the Northeast a long time ago, and
they changed the names over after 6 months or so. J&L is a much bigger
fish to swallow. One side benefit was the local store had a BIG sale of
all the stuff they carried that MSC didn't. I got quite a few bargains.

Doug White

I talked to our MSC saleman today and he said that he could sell out of
J& L's truck once the finer points of the deal are settled. He said that
one of the good points of J&L is their catalog. The insert section is a
lot better done than most others. All the types of inserts are grouped
together, threading inserts, turning inserts, indexable drills. They
are not seperately grouped by manufacturer which is a pain if your are
looking for a specific type of insert.

John