Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Pretty stupid push-fit question

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2006 12:05:30 -0700, "Tournifreak"
wrote:

David Hansen wrote:
On 2 Apr 2006 18:16:34 GMT someone who may be mike
wrote this:-

I'd rather use a compression; they don't fail as disastrously if they
do
fail

Some years ago I had just sat down to Christmas dinner with other
members of the family (not in my house BTW) and the starter was just
about to be put on the table.

There was a sudden sound of running water, which I thought was a pan
being emptied in the kitchen. However, I was soon asked to help and
in the main bathroom I was able to observe a waterfall coming down
from the loft. Feeling a bit like a sumbmariner I climbed up the
ladder as the water came down.

The cause of the waterfall was a failed joint which had been
installed a day or two before. Because of the fashion for mains
pressure water systems a lot of water had ****ed out of this joint
in a short period. The plumber had used a push-fit fitting, despite
being paid to do the job properly.

I would say that's the fault of the plumber rather than the fitting.
I'd say it's just as easy (or difficult!) to mess up a solder joint,
compression joint, or push fit joint. All have their potential
pitfalls. (I may come back here in a year or two and eat humble pie
when all my speedfit fittings fall apart though... :-)

Jon.

As long as you didn't cut the tube with a hacksaw, this is very
unlikely......

Matt, he can cut the pipe with a hacksaw as long as he trims off properly.
It is clear you don't know this sort of thing.