Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

Default What type of lacquer for spraying?

My spray area is about 9x11. I have an exhaust fan (not super powerful) and a window this
is opened a bit. I am happy with the finish and was able to buff out (or simply wipe off)
the overspray. I was spraying a number of larger pieces so maybe the volume of the
workspace just wasn't large enough. And fan blowing out the window might help. I will try
to fine tune the procedure. I have a picture of the finished product I should post.

Andy Arhelger

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Andy Arhelger" wrote in message
LP wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:17:23 -0800, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice.

Trouble is I couldn't
find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up

paying a lot for
shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after

spraying. I don't think
it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed.

I believe there
was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe

the surface with
my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault,

but I am not sure
how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I

an not sure why.
What are you using to spray with? That dust/mist in the air is very
uncharacteristic of HVLP so I'm guessing you're using either high
pressure or a high pressure conversion gun?

I am using an HVLP gun.

How big is your spray area Andy? If you are working in too small of an area
you will end up with a fog in the room and it will settle on your workpiece.
Even HVLP puts overspray into the room. A lot of people think HVLP means no
overspray but in reality it's usually more like 20%-30% less overspray than
a conventional gun, but still a factor to contend with. For smaller
pieces - even the size of normal furniture, that overspray may not be a big
problem, but for bigger things the overspray becomes quite noticeable.
That's why respirators are still required even for HVLP. If the stuff
wasn't in the air, you wouldn't need a respirator.

The nice part about lacquer is that you can buff it out and get rid of that
stuff. If your spray technique was good to start with and you have a nice
even coat on the piece, you can take a little rubbing compound and buff that
dust right out of the finish and back to a nice even, shiny finish.