Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default Shopsmith

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with
the Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is
bulkier than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make
a difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

There several here that have Shopsmiths. I myself have an old 10ER (year
1949) which won't help much in your decision making. However I do have some
advice. If you do much turning it problably will be too low for you. I
remedy this by setting each end of mine on a regular 8" concrete block. IIRC
you are looking for a height of a little below the elbow. Obviously you have
to remove these to use the tablesaw etc. The SS variable speed is nice cuz
you don't have to change belts to change speed. Seems to be ample
accessories available on ebay etc. for the newer machines. Have fun.
Good Luck Lyndell