Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Shopsmith

Joseph Handy wrote:
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with the
Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is bulkier
than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make a
difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

The differences between the 500,510, and 520 are upgrades to the basic
500. It included better fences and rails, but I don't recall any
upgrades to the lathe function till lately, when they did improve the
tool rest. I had a 500 upgraded to 510 and I upgraded to the 520 before
I sold it. I you are looking at it for primarily lathe work, I would
put my money somewhere else. The weight difference between them is
negligible. The height is NOT adjustable, either.

Just MHO.

The Other Bruce