Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default How do you handle a HAZ?

I once had some sort of steel that was a real bitch to cut on my lathe, the
size was great for my needs so I wanted to use it. I have no oven so for
****s I just tossed a piece into my coal stuff, I ran the stove for a day
and let it just burn out (need to do that once in a while) the steel can out
with a good deal of scale but once through it, it cut very easy. Not telling
you to do this but it was cool for me.
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:14:26 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote
Interesting. What temps should I run up to? I have a furnace.

My Tempil Basic Guide to Ferrous Metalurgy shows a normalizing temp of
about
1600 F. for steel with 30 points of carbon. 4130 normalizes in still
air,
very still air, don't let the cat wag his tail near the cooling piece
and
don't fart. A full anneal can be had by very slow cooling in the
furnace.
The stuff will cut like butter then and will need to be re-hardened
after
machining.
Good luck.

So if I stack em up, and hold em at 1600 for a couple hours..then turn
off the juice and leave em in the oven..it may anneal them.

4130 anneal: heat to 1600F, cool to 1255F @ 20F/hr, cool in air
4130 normalize: heat to 1600F, cool in air

Ned Simmons