Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

Default Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 04/01/06 05:14 am Norminn wrote:

approach your neighbor diplomatically, suggesting that if he pays to
have the tree trimmed, you'll accomodate the tree trimmers working in
your yard. If hes not agreeable, I'd cut the tree off right at the
property line and throw the branches over the fence into his yard.

Where I live, that would probably bring the police to the door. I can
trim branches over my property but I can't mutilate or destroy the
tree.
Can't cut down a tree without a permit. And probably can't throw
trash
in my neighbor's yard.

*If* the provisions of English Law have been inherited in the locality
in question, the OP has the *right* to cut the offending limbs back to
the property line (because they are intruding into his property) and the
*duty* to return the cut-off branches to the neighbor, whose property
they are.

Nevertheless, asking nicely and perhaps coming to an amicable
cost-sharing arrangement probably would be far preferable.

Perce

No way would *I* have the limbs cut off at the property line because,
the tree is only 8 ft from the line and the limbs are about 40' long.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. It's not like the
tree is in the middle of their yard and some limbs are "hanging" in my
yard that need to be "trimmed". The tree might as well be in my yard
it's so close and it hasn't been pruned in yrs. So simply trimming off
the ends is a temporary fix.

The tree needs to be pruned. And I don't have the $400+ to have it
done. Especially when it's not my tree.

Then quit worrying about it. Either prune what you want on your side of the
line or quit whining. Your neighbor doesn't owe you anything here.