Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two

Default T1.6L fuse?

In article BITXf.16536$Ph4.14670@edtnps90,
"Chris and Pamela" wrote:

Everything is now on surge protectors, even
non-obvious stuff.

That should give you some peace of mind, although I remain skeptical
about the efficacy of those dime store models.

Thirty years ago I lost a television to lightning. Twenty years ago as I
was lying in bed drifting off the sleep during an electrical storm, I
recalled the previous incident and got up to disconnect my TV from the
antenna. I walked into the living room just in time to see the TV screen
light up like a giant flash bulb. I'm glad my fingers weren't on the
thing at the time.

The strike went through the TV tuner and into the 120 volt line. The TV
was toast, and a few other appliances too. Two outlets melted, and four
or five ceramic outlet covers throughout the house shattered. Two of the
rafters under the eaves, into which the antenna guy wires were bolted,
exploded.

LIghtning is, well, as quick as lightning. The strike blew past the
branch and main breakers of the house, leaving them untripped, and fried
the nearest pole mounted transformer, which only serves my house. I was
without power for three days. The electric utility kept telling me that
they had restored power to my neighborhood.