Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default How do you handle a HAZ?

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:14:26 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote
Interesting. What temps should I run up to? I have a furnace.

My Tempil Basic Guide to Ferrous Metalurgy shows a normalizing temp of about
1600 F. for steel with 30 points of carbon. 4130 normalizes in still air,
very still air, don't let the cat wag his tail near the cooling piece and
don't fart. A full anneal can be had by very slow cooling in the furnace.
The stuff will cut like butter then and will need to be re-hardened after
machining.
Good luck.

So if I stack em up, and hold em at 1600 for a couple hours..then turn
off the juice and leave em in the oven..it may anneal them.

Thanks, Ill try that as my second option

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3