Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Pretty stupid push-fit question

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:31:17 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:06:52 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
I need to cap off an old feed under the bath down into the kitchen since
it's re-model. I can get my hand and a pipe cutter in there easily - but
couldn't get a gas torch anywhere in there - so - these push-fit things -
can I just deburr and push a push-fit stop end on?

Possibly an even stupider question, but this is a water pipe you're
wanting to blank off, and not gas?

Owain

I've heard of energy conservation and recycling, but gas feeds under
the bath?

It's now dead pipe work, but until a few years ago that was the situation
in my house and all the others in the terrace.

Originally:
The iron pipe emerged from under the floor under the bath and then
was chased into the wall around the side of the bath. It's
purpose was to supply a large instantaneous gas water heater as an
alternative to the solid fuel back-boiler and direct gravity heating of
the HW tank (cf. cylinder).

Until about 5 years ago my neighbour still had the complete asbestos flue
mounted outside.