Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Default Pretty stupid push-fit question

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

I need to cap off an old feed under the bath down into the kitchen
since it's re-model. I can get my hand and a pipe cutter in there
easily - but couldn't get a gas torch anywhere in there - so - these
push-fit things - can I just deburr and push a push-fit stop end on?

In principle, yes. How old is the feed, and what size pipe is it? I'm not
sure that you can get push-fit fittings for imperial pipe. If it's 15mm or
22mm copper, fine. Cut it with a proper pipe cutter which has a cutting
wheel, and then clean up the end inch or so with wire wool. The cutter
will have turned the end in slightly, so there's no need to de-burr. I
would use copper push-fit in metal pipe.

In the unlikely event that it's a stainless steel pipe - fitted in the
copper shortage in the 1960's or whenever - you won't be able to use
pushfit - 'cos it won't grip properly.

Nope in the clear on this one - she's a 15mm copper

Cheers
dan.