Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default New Bathroom - cost?

Mr Fixit wrote:
huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Generally mark everything up by a factor of there to get installed cost.

It takes me 2-4 weeks to do a bathroom to a decent standard.

So about 2-3 grand of labour and fiddly bits like plumbing.

Buy cheap china and expensive tiles.

I expect to spend about 250 on a bath, 100 on a basin and 250 on a loo.

Probably 600-1000 on a shower altogether, and about 150 on taps and other
trinkets like bog roll holders. Tiles? about a grand. I don't skimp on
tiles....

Then what else is there? The on I am doing now has an alcove that needs a
mirror, and arch, some lights...marble tops need carving for the vanity
units...loads of tile cement and grout...shaver socket..airing cupboard
and cupboard and drawer fronts in oak...a fair bit of MDF to make the bath
surround...you name it..

There is a lot of difference between a few bits of cheap china, some white
'trade' tiles and a vinyl floor and a totally equipped integrated to your
own design bathroom that you WANT to spend hours in doing the crossword...

4 weeks for bathroom ??? your having a laugh, I could fit out a bathroom
quicker than that and that would be doing my normal day job as well

Oh, I could put a heap of cheap shed crap together in a day or too for sure.

I spent a whole day just getting the plasterwork up to scratch, filling
sanding and caulking..

Custom carpentry to fit the cupboards and vanity units in is at least a
day or two.

Vertical tiling is not hard if the walls are level..but tiling over a
floor that resembles a contour map of dartmoor is more challenging.

Likewise doing pipework that is accurate, neat, and boxed in is non
trivial sometimes.

As I say, there is the world of difference between a wimpey house bog
basin and bath, a few white tiles and a slab of vinyl floor, and a
bathroom that is like something out of 'ideal homes' with lighting,
fittings, (not easy on plasterboard walls, those take planning too)
special nice radiators and towel rails, tile and marble encased bath,
custom designed shower cubicle..and decorated to an A1 standard.