Posted to uk.d-i-y
huLLy

Default New Bathroom - cost?

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

--
huLLy,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Try Yellow Pages or one of the on-line local search sites.

Give them a call on the phone and tell them that you have an averaged
sized bathroom and could they give you a firm quote on this basis.

Better still, tell them that you have £5k to spend and ask them what
they can do for that amount.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
huLLy

Chris Bacon wrote:
huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much?

Try asking them.

I'd like to get an idea first before the relentless marketing campaign
starts targeting me.
--
huLLy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:06:28 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much?

Try asking them.

I'd like to get an idea first before the relentless marketing campaign
starts targeting me.

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.

The costs of materials vary enormously, as do labour costs depending
on location and whether the supplier wants the work.

Start with local rather than national suppliers and you are more
likely to get reasonable pricing. Ask for references.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Generally mark everything up by a factor of there to get installed cost.

It takes me 2-4 weeks to do a bathroom to a decent standard.

So about 2-3 grand of labour and fiddly bits like plumbing.

Buy cheap china and expensive tiles.

I expect to spend about 250 on a bath, 100 on a basin and 250 on a loo.

Probably 600-1000 on a shower altogether, and about 150 on taps and
other trinkets like bog roll holders. Tiles? about a grand. I don't
skimp on tiles....

Then what else is there? The on I am doing now has an alcove that needs
a mirror, and arch, some lights...marble tops need carving for the
vanity units...loads of tile cement and grout...shaver socket..airing
cupboard and cupboard and drawer fronts in oak...a fair bit of MDF to
make the bath surround...you name it..

There is a lot of difference between a few bits of cheap china, some
white 'trade' tiles and a vinyl floor and a totally equipped integrated
to your own design bathroom that you WANT to spend hours in doing the
crossword...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Lynch

On 2006-04-02, huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Funnily enough, I'm looking to get the same sort of work done, so
I'd be interested in knowing what quotes you get (notwithstanding
the "it depends" views aired here).
On a practical note, the time it will take is an issue too. Unless
you have a second bathroom (or _very_ accommodating neighbours) what
provision are you making for err, sanitation until the installation's
complete?

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

huLLy wrote:
[...]

4 weeks for bathroom ??? your having a laugh, I could fit out a bathroom
quicker than that and that would be doing my normal day job as well

Posted to uk.d-i-y
huLLy

On 2006-04-02, huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Funnily enough, I'm looking to get the same sort of work done, so
I'd be interested in knowing what quotes you get (notwithstanding
the "it depends" views aired here).
On a practical note, the time it will take is an issue too. Unless
you have a second bathroom (or _very_ accommodating neighbours) what
provision are you making for err, sanitation until the installation's
complete?

I was hoping a typical pro installer would do it in about 5 working days, so
we'd prob use the parents in laws facilities... or dig a trench in the
garden!
--
huLLy,
Methsods in Maaaadness.. an arresting experience!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mr Fixit wrote:
huLLy wrote:
[...]

Oh, I could put a heap of cheap shed crap together in a day or too for sure.

I spent a whole day just getting the plasterwork up to scratch, filling
sanding and caulking..

Custom carpentry to fit the cupboards and vanity units in is at least a
day or two.

Vertical tiling is not hard if the walls are level..but tiling over a
floor that resembles a contour map of dartmoor is more challenging.

Likewise doing pipework that is accurate, neat, and boxed in is non
trivial sometimes.

As I say, there is the world of difference between a wimpey house bog
basin and bath, a few white tiles and a slab of vinyl floor, and a
bathroom that is like something out of 'ideal homes' with lighting,
fittings, (not easy on plasterboard walls, those take planning too)
special nice radiators and towel rails, tile and marble encased bath,
custom designed shower cubicle..and decorated to an A1 standard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 2006-04-02, huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Funnily enough, I'm looking to get the same sort of work done, so
I'd be interested in knowing what quotes you get (notwithstanding
the "it depends" views aired here).
On a practical note, the time it will take is an issue too. Unless
you have a second bathroom (or _very_ accommodating neighbours) what
provision are you making for err, sanitation until the installation's
complete?

I was hoping a typical pro installer would do it in about 5 working days, so
we'd prob use the parents in laws facilities... or dig a trench in the
garden!

You can nearly always, if there is not too much construction required,
get a new bog in almost immediately.

It may need to come out for tileing again, but thats no great shakes.

Likewise a basin can be got in in a day or less. If there is no big deal
on running pipes

Putting the units in is the easy bit. Its the carpentry and the
decoration that is labour intensive.

You can paint a room in a day or less. It may take you a week or more to
prepare it to a standard ready for painting though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

Stuart

Likely had a quote from Dolphin !!!!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

huLLy wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much?

Try asking them.

I'd like to get an idea first before the relentless marketing campaign
starts targeting me.

Measure your bathroom up, with position of soil pipe, windows, etc.,
go to B&Q, Wickes, or wherever, and take advantage of their "Free
design service". Allow yourself to be shown various products. Make
a selection, and ask for a price estimate based on what you have
shown them and what you've selected. You don't have to take any
notice of any marketing campaign.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:14:55 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.

No-one likes giving quotes, without major effort in working out exclt
what is involved.

So what can be easier is to ask for price guidance on _previous_ work.
If they did a bathroom of vaguely the right size and style, ask them how
much that one cost and what the fittings were. The fitter isn't tying
themselves into a promise of a firm quote and you probably get a more
accurate quote (assuming the style is similar) than something with a lot
of hand-waving and back-covering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"huLLy" wrote in message
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

--
huLLy,

The best thing is to ask around - friends and family - that have had similar
work done. If they're happy with the job they may tell you the kind of
costs. you can get people in for an estimate - or better still - a quote.
Decide from the recommendation of friends and/or the 'vibes' you get when
they come round. It will cost more than you imagine and it will take longer
than you think. Our toilet was rarely out of action - never overnight, but
we lived for a month without a bath/shower - frequent rtrips to our next
door neighbour. A few doors up, another neighbour has had the bathroom
done - two weeks became four weeks...

Also consider qualirt as well as price. I'd rather pay more for a recommend
person/team than less for a bad job. All in all five people worked on our
job - two plasterers - (less than a day), an electrician (two half days),
plumber, gaffer/tiler.

Good luck.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Stuart wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

cheap, mine is 2m^2 and cost 12,000+

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

DJC wrote:
Stuart wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

cheap, mine is 2m^2 and cost 12,000+

wait, how do you spend 12k in a room that is your front door's length?
unless you fill it with benson and hedges or gold then it would be hard!
unless of course labour was 10k????????
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

I have recently done this. To refit a bathroom, bath sink and toilet
circa £600 labour only. Tiling is approx 25 per square metre plus the
cost of the tiles probably about another 25 per square metre. I accept
that tiles can vary from 10 to 100+ per sqare but you can get a decent
tile for circa 25. Also a lot depend son area where living. These are
midlands prices and also allow for Vat. Allow an extra 100 to ply line
the floor.
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Gav wrote:
DJC wrote:
Stuart wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "huLLy" wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

cheap, mine is 2m^2 and cost 12,000+

wait, how do you spend 12k in a room that is your front door's length?
unless you fill it with benson and hedges or gold then it would be hard!
unless of course labour was 10k????????

Its easy to spend over a grand for a bath/bog couple of grand for a
shower and a grand on tiles,if you want the fashionable items.

I don;t know why, but people wnat these bathrooms with ditzy craop in them

OTOH is easy enough to get a shower-in-bath and bog basin and bath for
under 800, taps and all, slap some vinyl on the floor, and some trade
tiles up a bit of the walls, and do the job for a grand materials
wise....ugly plastic fittings, exposed pipes, and a lick of paint.

That sort of job will cost you a couple of grand with someone in to do
it, The more affluent bathroom could be £5k, or more. Ive seen gold
plated taps at 500 quid....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Gav wrote:
DJC wrote:
Stuart wrote:
£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

cheap, mine is 2m^2 and cost 12,000+

wait, how do you spend 12k in a room that is your front door's length?
unless you fill it with benson and hedges or gold then it would be hard!
unless of course labour was 10k????????

Wedi Fundo tray, wall boards and tanking kit. 681.00
tiles 776.30
WC, frame, cistern, 549.63
Thermo shower valve, head etc 447.39
basin, trap, and mixer tap 479.42
radiator 407.00
sundry materials, plumbing, tiling etc 630.00
______
Total Main contract materials 3,970.74
Main contract labour
17 days @ 250 + parking 4,422.80
VAT 1,468.87

10mm toughened pre-acid glass partition & door 1,198.04
measure and fit glass 860.00
VAT 360.16

DIY stuff
extract fan, ducting 184.31 (inc VAT)
suspended ceiling 146.78 (inc VAT)
sundry stuff, tools 300.00

I've lost count of the numerous odd bits of expenditure, in B&Q,
homebase, Wickes, Ryness, Buck & Ryan, Leyland SDM, etc which easily
take the above total to over 13,000. Not to mention the time its taken
up over the past year, or the living in the middle of a workshop for
best part of two years.

Put up a shelf this evening, if I can get the floor back down in the
entrance lobby next weekend, then I might get all the rubbish down to
the dump by easter. Then there's just the making good to the paintwork
in the main room, and the skirting boards that came off two years ago
can be reinstated, and bringing the residents association to agreement
about decorating and repairing common parts, and some improved windows,
and...

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
$replyto = 'an.rnser.is.reqird'
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:08:22 GMT, DJC
wrote:

Gav wrote:
DJC wrote:
Stuart wrote:
[...]

£407 for a radiator ..FFS..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, huLLy wrote:

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website:
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):

Simple bathroom - new suite, half tiling, no shower, layout unchanged...
Typical price range: £3,000 - £5,000 including VAT

Average family bathroom - new suite, new layout, vanity unit, power shower
over bath, heated towel radiator, full tiling... Typical price range:
£5,000 - £8,000 including VAT

More complex bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with
concealed-cistern WC, power shower over bath, heated towel radiator, full
tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical price range: £8,000 -
£10,000 including VAT.

'Luxury' bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with
concealed-cistern WC, power shower in large separate shower enclosure,
heated towel radiator, full tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical
price range: £12,000 - £20,000 including VAT.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:00:25 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, huLLy wrote:

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old
(everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite,
retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the
install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website:
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
[...]

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:06:45 +0100, Stuart wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:00:25 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website:
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol

You mean estage agents? advertising types? executives of failing
companies?

Or tradespeople: ah! now _they_ have no right to a good standard of
living for the work they do, have they?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:18:08 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:06:45 +0100, Stuart wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:00:25 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website:
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol

You mean estage agents? advertising types? executives of failing
companies?

Or tradespeople: ah! now _they_ have no right to a good standard of
living for the work they do, have they?

Where did I mention tradespeople ...??

No..I was actually meaning people that pay that sort of dosh for a bog
..

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Stuart wrote:
Where did I mention tradespeople ...??

No..I was actually meaning people that pay that sort of dosh for a bog

But its all relative.
I've owned this flat for 21 years, not that I planned to: moving's
expensive so at least three, five maybe seven. But then, either it was
the wrong time to be selling, or my life was too uncertain to sell. So I
am still here, and nothing's been done to it for 15 years as I was
always considering a move. So now it needs doing even to sell, and I
might be here for the next twenty years.
The mortgage rate is less than half what I was paying 20 years ago, and
the property worth five times as much. Whether I view it as payment for
20 years wear and tear, or an investment in the next twenty spending 20k
over the past 2 years on refurbishment does not seem that excessive.
Now I could have done it cheaper it is true, but. The DIY kitchen took
months of evenings and weekends and the modestly speced bill of
materials still came to a couple of thousand. Its not difficult to
manage without a kitchen for months, not so easy to be without a
bathroom even for a week. Cheaper to get someone in than find
alternative accommodation for the months DIY would take.
Now the cost of getting the work done, to a standard I find acceptable
is much the same whatever the cost of the materials. If the job with the
cheapest materials costs 8k and it costs another 2, or even 4k for
something I may be living with for the rest of my life (if I'm still
here in 20 years, I will be here till I'm carried out in a box.) then
that seems reasonable to me.
In the end its only money, The car can run another year, a new bathroom
will last a lot longer that a new computer I do not really need to buy,
if I buy fewer books I can save on bookshelves.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
$replyto = 'an.rnser.is.reqird'
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

wrote:

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:06:45 +0100, Stuart wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:00:25 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website:
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol

You mean estage agents? advertising types? executives of failing
companies?

Or tradespeople: ah! now _they_ have no right to a good standard of
living for the work they do, have they?

Where did I mention tradespeople ...??

No..I was actually meaning people that pay that sort of dosh for a bog

Fairy Nuff. If you'd said some people _have_ too much money I'd have known
what you meant.

But it's all relative, isn't it? I mean, even to buy a packet of crisps is
obscene in the context of how some people on our planet live. I've never
paid more than a grand for a car but even that's a fortune for most
humans, globally. For the price of my house I could probably buy a medium
size village in many places.

OT - The Cost of War Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 103 January 18th 06 11:10 PM
Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber? Phil Woodworking 82 August 28th 05 06:32 AM
Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 10:49 AM
New gas furnace time [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 19th 05 04:19 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 05:55 PM