Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default New Bathroom - cost?

huLLy wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
On 2006-04-02, huLLy wrote:
I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the
old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600
quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as
B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Funnily enough, I'm looking to get the same sort of work done, so
I'd be interested in knowing what quotes you get (notwithstanding
the "it depends" views aired here).
On a practical note, the time it will take is an issue too. Unless
you have a second bathroom (or _very_ accommodating neighbours) what
provision are you making for err, sanitation until the installation's
complete?

I was hoping a typical pro installer would do it in about 5 working days, so
we'd prob use the parents in laws facilities... or dig a trench in the
garden!

You can nearly always, if there is not too much construction required,
get a new bog in almost immediately.

It may need to come out for tileing again, but thats no great shakes.

Likewise a basin can be got in in a day or less. If there is no big deal
on running pipes

Putting the units in is the easy bit. Its the carpentry and the
decoration that is labour intensive.

You can paint a room in a day or less. It may take you a week or more to
prepare it to a standard ready for painting though...