Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

Default WD40 - Penetrating oil ?

FYI ... WD 40 = "Water Displacing" formula "40". It is not
an oil of any kind. It is not intended to be a lubricant, as
many people think.

"Vince" wrote in message

Is WD40 a good penetrating oil to use on a stubborn sheet
metal screw
that is located inside an electric walloven ? I am
wondering what the
odor will be when I eventually light this oven off once
again ? Will
the WD40 eventually evaporate? I hope that it will
before being
heated by the oven.

Problem is also that the screw is located at the top
inside surface of
the oven; so, the WD40 is not going to be sucked upward,
is it ?

I have the whole oven now out of the wall cabinet.
Thinking that I
might be able to rotate the oven 180 degrees vertically,
and then
squirt some WD40.

The screw is a cross-tip Phillips and somewhat stripped
now, and is
one of two screws that secure the Broil element to the
oven ceiling.
UGH !

All this effort to remove the broil (top) element in a
(1974 era)
Whirlpool single oven and I am now at a standstill.

de ~ Vince ~
:Long Island:

.