Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Skew problems

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Max, Glad you have skewered the epithets.

I agree with the Lacer CD and 3/4" skew, but why do you need a Steb
center? I've read the ads, but I've never used one as it seems to me to
be an expensive device that like a cheaper dead center tends to
perpetuate instead of improve poor tool work and it fills some other
needs that most hobbyists don't have. Other's opinions will differ and
I'm willing to learn.

So am I, obviously. g I was reading a turner's website a while back
in which he recommended the Stebcenter as a means for mitigating the ill
effects of a nasty catch--the sort I have been experiencing. Several
catches have yanked the skew from my hands, and on one occasion it caught
my faceshield and ripped it from my headgear, destroying both. Better it
than I. But I was hoping a Stebcenter might be a good device to use while
learning the taming of the skew (sorry). I don't own a dead center--my
lathe came only with a live one plus some drive centers--so I shopped for
a center that would allow slippage, but couldn't find a dead center
offered. At least the Craft Supplies catalog doesn't seem to have them.
I'm sure they've got to be cheaper than a Stebcenter, so I'm all ears if
you think they'll work as well for less money. As for poor tool work, I
believe that is my middle name, but I'm improving.

Max

Max,
Sears has one in their online catalog. It's a 60 degree, MT2, and cost is
$7.99. They once had a cup center, and it may be in their tool catalog, but
not in the online version.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.