Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

Default Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

mm wrote:

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:55:10 GMT, wrote:

On 31 Mar 2006 15:57:15 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

wrote:

Ron wrote:

My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Been living with that for 30 years. Every other summer, I
cut back just short of the prop line limbs within 10 feet of
my roof. Ladder, bow saw, and pole trimmer cost $30 years
ago. Some owners of that house helped, others didn't care.
Last year, current owner looked puzzled but accepted that
the limbs could brush my roof in a windstorm. About a month
later, three large branches snapped in a storm and crashed
into their roof and nice landscaping. A few days later they
had a crew severely trim the tree. Here, if a diseased tree
could cause damage, I can send a registered letter putting
them on notice that they are liable for my damages from
their bad tree. The other neighbor collected for damage to
his wife's car from a rotten limb.

I did learn one lesson. When I moved in, I helped the
original owner remove 4 trees from her backyard. Fixed slow
sewer line problems at three homes. Many times she talked
about getting rid of the tree in the front yard. I won't
miss that opportunity again. ;-)

My early neighbors were nice, we always helped each other
out. Those days are gone.

-larry / dallas