Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default Looking for 0-80 insert

I suppose the reason that they don't seem to exist in brass, anyway, is
that the wall wouldn't be thick enough to withstand the stress of
pressing, particularly in alumimum. Maybe you could get some mfr to
sell you some inserts with NO hole at all, insert them, then drill and
tap 'em.

Come to think it, one could press in a larger insert (let's say 6/32),
screw and locktite an appropriate screw into that, then drill and tap
0-80. Maybe one could even get lucky and find a brass allen set screw
that might be close to the 0-80 tap drill size. A lot of fooling around,
obviously, but no problems getting the inserts.

Pete Stanaitis

Bob Sanderson wrote:
I am looking for an insert that can be pressed into an Aluminum block that
has an 0-80 thread. I've tried most of the major manufacturers and the
smallest they go is 4-40. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes
inserts that small?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.