Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Sanderson

Default Looking for 0-80 insert

I am looking for an insert that can be pressed into an Aluminum block that
has an 0-80 thread. I've tried most of the major manufacturers and the
smallest they go is 4-40. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes
inserts that small?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:41:52 GMT, Bob Sanderson
wrote:

I am looking for an insert that can be pressed into an Aluminum block that
has an 0-80 thread. I've tried most of the major manufacturers and the
smallest they go is 4-40. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes
inserts that small?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It looks like finding press in type thread inserts in 0-80 for metal
might indeed be fruitless. This link:
http://www.tristar-inserts.com/tapered-inserts.htm
is for a page describing brass inserts for pressing into plastic. They
are available in 0-80. MSC also has brass inserts for plastic in this
size. It looks like heli-coil type inserts only go down to 2-56. What
about buying standoffs with an 0-80 thread? They are not made for
pressing into a plate but there's nothing saying you can't use 'em
this way.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Bob Sanderson wrote:

I am looking for an insert that can be pressed into an Aluminum block that
has an 0-80 thread. I've tried most of the major manufacturers and the
smallest they go is 4-40. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes
inserts that small?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Keensert makes a stainless steel threaded insert in 0-80. The outer
thread is 6-40 as I recall

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I suppose the reason that they don't seem to exist in brass, anyway, is
that the wall wouldn't be thick enough to withstand the stress of
pressing, particularly in alumimum. Maybe you could get some mfr to
sell you some inserts with NO hole at all, insert them, then drill and
tap 'em.

Come to think it, one could press in a larger insert (let's say 6/32),
screw and locktite an appropriate screw into that, then drill and tap
0-80. Maybe one could even get lucky and find a brass allen set screw
that might be close to the 0-80 tap drill size. A lot of fooling around,
obviously, but no problems getting the inserts.

Pete Stanaitis