Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Google Earth

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:51:08 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to J. Clarke :
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

The Windows box is Win 2000-Pro. But, as explained several
times above, I have no *need* for it to talk to the outside world, My
unix boxen do that very nicely, thank you.

The bottom line on this seems to be that you're unhappy because you can't
use Google Earth and the reason you can't use it is that you're too chicken
to do something that the average third grader takes in stride.

I'm unhappy because Google does not provide for other OS's.

The *proper* way to deal with this problem is to provide source
code for generic unix, which can be downloaded, examined for security
holes, and then compiled.

And the average third grader does not know (or care) enough to
be worried. I know of at least one pair of small kids who have lost
access to a particular sacrificial Windows box, because they could not
resist clicking to download an "update" for their favorite game. It
thoroughly infected the system, and they were then banished to using
only disconnected systems for their games.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thats pretty much how I lost the entire network twice in the last two
years. Since then..the kid has moved out..and Ive firewalled the ****
out of everything..and most of the boxes connect through a Linux box
running a proxy.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams