jon banquer

Default History of Machine Tools

As for Battleboob's concerns, perhaps if they researched
the *ideas* behind revolutionary machine tools instead of
the boring/useless 'who when where' aspect of it ? I am
continually amazed by the number of 'CNC machinists' who
don't have a clue about basic machining functions and
processes.

Ever consider that because the future of machining in the U.S.
is so dim that studying the past feels much better than studying
what's current ???

jon

"Excitable Boy" wrote in message
om...
Ned Simmons wrote in message

Giddings & Lewis claims they were first in this company
history.

http://www.glcastings.com/ne/basenav/dateline.asp

Jesus Christ, now G&L's joined the Liars' Club :-(
It's documented all over the place; M.I.T. and John
Parsons built the first functional NC machine. It ran
in 1952. I even have a jpeg (somewhere) of an ashtray
made on the thing. It used a Cincinnati Hydrotel for
the base machine. Parsons-Bendix-Dynapath-Autocon was
the first maker of ANY nc control. All this is discussed
in any of the early books on NC ... you don't have any
of those ?