Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Default Scope intensity markers, why not

wrote:

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
IIRC, one of the modes of my Tektronix 545 scope uses a z-axis marker to
measure time. The 'tick' position is adjusted with a 10 turn pot.
setting multiplied by the B time base setting. Its not the same as what
JF described, but it does use an intensity marker.

I think on later Tek scopes this mode was more generally called "A
Intensified by B".

Or 'B intensified by A'.

I personally was usually confused by all the different modes possible
on a dual-timebase scope. Yeah, I made use of most of them at some
point or another, but it was never awfully intuitive (unlike most of
the other functions on an analog scope, where the knob I was turning
made perfect sense in relation to the change in display, to the point
where my fingers knew how to get me the display I wanted. A wonderful
feeling compared to hitting all the buttons on front of some of today's
digital scopes.)

Regarding my confusion: The tek dual-timebase scopes I used had that
funky dual-concentric timebase knob and 4 to 6 buttons for mode
selection. The confusion I get in using them is minor, though, compared
the confusion every time I look at the 140-button DVD remote control!
95% of the DVD remote buttons have zero on-screen effect when I press
them! How am I ever supposed to figure out what they do!

Somewhere in Montana, the cover on a missile silo is opening and closing
for no apparant reason.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Applying information technology is simply finding the right wrench