john

Default History of Machine Tools

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Stanley Dornfeld" wrote in message
This ought to get you started. *Smile

The question this group has been looking for a definitive answer for is:
How did the "Letter" size drills come into being and why?

Now, a number of members in this group have made some good contributions

in
support of the origin; but I don't think anyone has been able to "rubber
stamp" the quest complete.

Maybe one of your students might take up the banner.

These references come from "Metalworking Yesterday and Tomorrow" The

100th
Anniversary Issue of American Machinist
The book was given to me by Pete Noling ,who sold me my first Hurco in
1/15/'79 Seaboard Machinery Los Angeles --

Take a look at the masthead, or at back of the issue, and see who the
editors were. g

I have a couple of copies, which are worth their weight in gold. But I'll
let Errol have one for a while, if he wants to copy anything from it. I
wrote a number of the items in that history, mostly about the 1930's and
1940's.

Ed Huntress

Ed,

Maybe you should give a lecture. Danbury isn't that far.

John