Kurt {:{

Default History of Machine Tools (Westwood)

Hi Jim,
-
I still owe you lunch for those tubes you sent me for my intercom.
-
I was only to Westwood once. I was on a mission with my boss looking at
some used equipment. This place was a fairly good sized concrete block
building, looked to be built 1950's era,on the south side of the Blvd.
This guy bought stuff used, fixed it up, then resold it. I know when I
was working to Grant Hardware in West Nyack, some of our stuff came from
him.
-
I contacted Sobel personally a couple of times over the years, but to
me, he was always gruffy (prima donna die maker mentality), and I didn't
like his attitude, so I never did business with him. I have talked to
the guy to http://www.mermac.com and bought some stuff. He knows/knew
Sobel as a machinery source and both these guys have done Cabin Fever
Expo. He's down on Long Island around the Freeport area.
-
I did carpentry for awhile, pre-machine shop days. During the 1974 Oil
Embargo I signed up for 6 years Navy Reserve Seabees as work was a wee
bit scarce. I was gone 6 months doing Basic, schools and some combat
training. If you ever get up to Beacon, NY, just below the hospital
there, is a 4 bay ambulance HQ & rec hall, RNMCB13 built, my claim to
fame. Nice thing about building things, testaments that I was there
once upon a time. On winter carpenter layoff in 1975 I took a 165 hour
turret lathe course here in Middletown at Kieley and Mueller, Inc. to
run automatic turret lathes funded by a government program to get off
unemployment and my one year drafting program under Mr. Vizvary (also
the soccer coach) in tool design training I got to Ulster County
Community College came in handy and that's how I got into machining, a
hell of lot easier than swinging a hammer! I worked around learning on
the job and a few years later kind of apprenticed under a prick (read
SOB) tool maker and worked in a couple different shops doing tooling
work, then I hurt my back on a part time construction job, and that was
that. I got over twenty years in the machine shop trade and can't do
the standing anymore. Well, I supose I could do it, but I wouldn't be a
happy camper (read PAIN!!). Any shop I ever worked in, SITTING was not
allowed. Really funny. I'm thinking about the real estate racket for
these tired old bones.
-
Well, I have fun reminscing (sp?) (remembering) with you guys. I must
say you guys are intimidating or else you all got the gift of gab.
Most of the bull sh*t artists I knew weren't too good at doing anything.
The really good guys weren't too good at the gabbing. And I've seen
high school drop outs, close to genius level in the mechanical trades as
to practical know how. Higher education doesn't necessarily mean poo!
Though I think the engineering studies would be fun. Well, you guys at
least are entertaining and seem to be very in the know. This is my
favorite site on the WWW .
-
Kurt
{:{
-
Can't shut this guy up!
(I change e-mail addies frequently to stay ahead of the spammers, but
the {:{ is always me. Wish I had that much hair! I think somebody
here ain't too fond of WEBTVers and lately quite a bit of spam, but
changes to MSNTV lately should curtail most of it. If I ever get jury
duty to some SOB spammer, I'll show NO mecy!) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

History of Machine Tools =8BErrol Groff=9B =8BJim R.=9B

Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 4:54am (EST-3)
From: (jim=A0rozen)
In article ,
Kurt {:{ says...
Hi Jim,
-
This was awhile back, probably 10 to 15 years ago. The guy's place was
Ferdinand Snow used machinery. Coming down from Mahwah, before Paramus,
over off Rt.17, coming east, cross the RXR tracks, thru town, on the
main drag on the right, a couple miles. Maybe do a PHONEBOOK via
computer to see if he is still around? Or maybe somebody else has it. At
the time, most shops I knew about, knew this guy. Do you have anybody in
here from Bergen County, NJ? Maybe they got the scoop.
LOL. That would be me. I grew up in closter, that same town with
Sobel's. My first job was working at the schwinn shop in westwood.
I'm aware of Sobel's, and also there's the Tool Chest in Emerson NJ just
down the road. But I never saw Ferdinand Snows, I'll check into it. By
your directions it would be out beyond the main part of town, past 5
corners.
Jim
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0please