Nicholas Carter

Default History of Machine Tools

One of my favorite books is "When the Machine Stopped - A Cautionary
Tale from Industrial America" by Max Holland, Harvard Business School
Press 1989, ISBN 0-87584-244-5

It is a history of the rise and fall of the Burgmaster Corporation,
and includes their attempts to break into the NC market, and compete
with Giddings and Lewis.

Although it is an economics text, it reads quite well and contains the
full history of the company.

Nick

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:31:09 GMT, Errol Groff
wrote:

I am preparing a research assignment for my students on this subject.
Looking for suggestions as to names which might be used as search
terms or links to sites that would be appropriate.

Also, I am not remembering the names that were involved in the
creation of the first NC machines back in the late forties/early
fifties. I know that the info is back in my head somewhere but it is
not coming forward. Help would be appreciated!