Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default Replacing Unknown Transistor

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:46:18 GMT, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

This may sound like a tough question, but it probably isn't. The unit in
question is an Infiniti SM785 monitor (17", 1996). I acquired this years ago
and obviously attempted a repair, because I left a large TO-3P transistor
(Q604) removed from the circuit, and of course it is long-since lost. Funny
thing is, it's not the horizontal output. Doesn't seem to be a pincushion
amp either, because the monitor will not start without it - a regulator of
some sort maybe?. Anyway, there were several smaller blown transistors
nearby, so I replaced them and then attempted to take a guess on the missing
TO-3P. The only one that allowed the monitor to power and work normally was
an NTE2324, however I only left it on for a few seconds because I didn't
want to risk damaging anything. Does anyone know what the function of that
transistor is, and what would probably make a good sub?

Could it be involved in high voltage regulation? Does it drive a coil?
Does it switch the B+ ? Does it get its base drive from an IC? If so,
then the IC's datasheet may tell you its function.

- Franc Zabkar