Ed Huntress

Default History of Machine Tools

"Stanley Dornfeld" wrote in message
Hi again Ed..

I guess I have brand 'X.' There is no Gold name on it. *shucks!

Aha. Then there were other copies hard-bound, besides the special run made
for those of us who worked on it. They probably were presentation issues for
advertisers. Andy Ashburn, who was the Editor then, may know. I'll ask him
when I get to it.

Also, I would be interested in which articles you wrote. Would you please
list them for me?

I'd be interested, too. You're assuming my memory is good for sorting out
which items I wrote in an issue written 26 years ago. That's a lot of
assumption. g I was trying to blend my style with the overall style of the
book, so it's a little hard to remember which ones I actually wrote --
especially since I had a hand in editing most of the book, and we tend to
forget what we actually wrote versus what we just edited.

I'll take a look this evening and try to remember. I can tell you this,
though: Sometime in the mid-'90s, the current owners of American Machinist
(Penton Publishing) ran a special issue that, essentially, was a rip of the
100th Anniversary Issue, which had been published by McGraw-Hill, the
original owners. They just lifted the pieces verbatim -- including two or
three of mine -- without acknowledgment of where they came from or who wrote
them. Then they put a new byline (sort of) on them, saying "edited by," and
listing some member of their current staff.

They own the material and there was nothing explicitly unethical about it.
But it really grated the hell out of those of us who spent a year of our
lives researching and writing it.

You see... You are part of the history as well. *Smile

I realize that every time I look in the mirror...

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)