Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Knocking through a wall and re-wiring

Matt wrote:
Im not fussed about having a completely flat ceiling, an RSJ across
where the existing wall kind of making a partition in the ceiling is
fine with me - i may have to leave the very edge of the walls in anyway
as i think the plumbing runs inside up to the bathroom, otherwise will
need to box the pipes in anyway. Again, as am amatuer I have no idea
and can only assume you are right about there being a lintel over the
arch.

Anyone got any ideas on the logistics/costs behind moving the fuse box
or indeed any estimated time/costs to get this job done?

You chould chip away at some of the plaster above the existing arch to
see what's already there. You could also either remove some fo the
ceiling or flooring above to see what the joist situation is like.
You'll need someone to say whether the upstair can support itself
without that wall there (or not). Also the side walls will need to be
judged to see how much of existing wall needs to remain to brace them
if necessary and/or to support the RSJ (UB) if necessary.

A friend paid I think 2 grand for a wall knock-through which I thought
was expensive and I've also heard very high prices for moving consumer
units. If all in it's a days job for a couple of people how much would
*you* want to be paid for that time if it were you?