Loren Coe

Default Fwd: Dangerous way of getting 220V from 110V outlets

In article , Bruce L Bergman wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:57:29 GMT, someone who calls themselves Loren
Coe wrote:
In article , Tom Quackenbush wrote:
HaroldA102 wrote:

Use this item to get 220 from 110 genarator set big enough will
run a well pump in a power outage

I don't think so. It looks like it's "creating" 220v by using the
two 120 legs of a typical US house 220v residential service. That
wouldn't be the case with a generator that only creates 120v.

Yes, but from a small generator that is wired that way, it works.
Had to use the one-plug-on-each-circuit method, and warned the people
about how it works. If they kill themselves, I said the mandatory
"Kids, Don't try this at home!" ;-p

has anyone checked out the differential in the 4400w vs 3300 watt
U.S.A. plugs? 80.00(!), ouch. i wonder if the insides are any
different for the two models? my old standby, total rube and very
unsafe, method looks pretty good by comparison (just wire 220 to a
15a 110 jack, paint it red, and change the plug on the 220v gear
to match). --Loren

NO! Do NOT do that, use the right plugs and receptacles for
permanent uses. Someone who can't read (or just plugs in without
thinking first - even you!) is going to blow something up. The whole

yes, exactly, _me_! after years of using it i plugged my shop vac
into it. it immediately sucked onto the concrete floor so fast i
could not move the wand. duhhhh...., as i was yanking the cord the
motor started sparking and smoking.

next time, i will also paint the jack red and install a cover of
some type with further warnings.

reason behind changing the plug configurations is so you can't plug in
to the wrong voltage.

Where the heck are they charging those prices? You must be shopping
in the wrong places, with people who think that "Manufacturers
Suggested List Price" is only a starting point... "Builder's quality"
15A 120V duplex receptacles are under 50 cents each in quantity, but
even the fancy "mixed duplex" with a straight-blade 20A 120V on top
and a 20A 240V on the bottom are around $10 - $12. Even smaller
twistlock receptacles are under $20. $80 is up into IEC
pin-and-sleeve receptacle territory... -- Bruce --

yes, agreed, and even lower grade plugs get pricey in 20+ amp 240v
configurations, one of the reasons i have done the rube 110-240
thing. not that i would recommend it... remember that you have
to buy jack _and_ plug.

i have worked most of my adult life with computers/computer rooms,
and am consantly amazed at the prices of "Stoval" plugs and jacks,
and at how many are just scrapped when the equipment is retired.

Regards, --Loren