Excitable Boy

Default History of Machine Tools

Ned Simmons wrote in message ...

Giddings & Lewis claims they were first in this company
history.

http://www.glcastings.com/ne/basenav/dateline.asp

Jesus Christ, now G&L's joined the Liars' Club :-(
It's documented all over the place; M.I.T. and John
Parsons built the first functional NC machine. It ran
in 1952. I even have a jpeg (somewhere) of an ashtray
made on the thing. It used a Cincinnati Hydrotel for
the base machine. Parsons-Bendix-Dynapath-Autocon was
the first maker of ANY nc control. All this is discussed
in any of the early books on NC ... you don't have any
of those ?

As for Battleboob's concerns, perhaps if they researched
the *ideas* behind revolutionary machine tools instead of
the boring/useless 'who when where' aspect of it ? I am
continually amazed by the number of 'CNC machinists' who
don't have a clue about basic machining functions and
processes.