clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default Fwd: Dangerous way of getting 220V from 110V outlets

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 02:37:29 GMT, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:25:54 GMT, clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote:

IF the home is wired according to code, there Will be split circuit
receptacles, particularly at the kitchen counter. By CODE, these are
ballanced - one on one side, one on the other.
IN THIS SITUATION they are safe. Particularly if the fuses are in
pullout blocks, or linked breakers are used.
Still overpriced, and I can't believe a patent would be issued. I did
it years ago.

Splits only came into use in the mid '60s, but I never saw a house
wired with receptacles on one leg and lights on the other. When I
rewired my house in '78, I ended up with thirteen fuses feeding the
kitchen. I haven't done this house fully yet, but it only had two
circuits for each level.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The first house my dad owned, purchased in 1957, had 2 fuses.All
lights (5 or 6 drop cords) on one side, all receptacles (I think 3 0r
4) on the other side. All knob and tube wiring. 30 amp service?
Anyway, Dad being an electrician, that was the first thing to be
changed.