Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default Sigh..I broke my Logan Shaper looking at Abene mill

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:33:37 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:00:42 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:56:48 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Ayup..but I believe the Albene is Swedish..I could be wrong. I think
Wayne Cook also has one.

Yep. BTW the header has it right. It's Abene and it is from Sweden.

I have a customer that has a shop you can eat from the floor..and I
already asked about the minty minty minty Hardinge UM..and he says he
is taking it home for himself..the ******* G

They are spending some serious money loading up on CNC turning and
milling centers.upgrading and streamlining..and with luck..the Albene
will be "downsized"

I think you'll like it if you get it.

Anything to watch out for?

Not really. It would be a good idea to make sure of the overarm and
arbor since they're a little strange. But you know how to work around
that.

The little Clausing 8540 I have is a nice horizontal miller..but..its
not stout enough for a lot of the work I do..making blue chips is
easy..but they are pretty small blue chips. Shrug..

I think you've seen the chips I've thrown with my Abene. It really
liked the 1 1/4" insert mill for hogging. It did not like the 1 1/2" 4
flute insert mill though (chatter).

Ive got a K&T #2 and a ..hummm Vernon (biggest one Ive seen) available
from one of my clients for $500 each...likely able to trade for one of
them...but the Abene is such an odd looking and exquisitly wierd
beasty that its tickled my fancy for a long time. and I think the
Abene has a slightly smaller foot print than the #2 and frankly...Im
running out of shop space.

Well I've not run a K&T #2 but I have run a #3 Cinci and it was just
to big and unwieldy for most of my work. I've not missed access to it
very many times since leaving my former employer. The Abene is just a
nice size. It's big enough to get some real work done but small enough
you don't have to kill yourself doing it. The versatility is just
icing on the cake.

Something I thought Id never do. Hell....10 yrs ago..my idea of
machinining something was chucking it in a drill motor, holding it
between my knees and hitting it with a file while it was turning.

Oh my kingdom for a warehouse. :-)

Odd how things turn out huh? Odd how much a motivated scrounger can
aquire once he gets a new jones/hobby....

Yep. It does seem to breed once you get more than one. :-)