Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

Default Sigh..I broke my Logan Shaper

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:24:03 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

So I set the feed per stroke on the dovetailed gizmo on the end of the
crank and let her run.

It was making a nice cut..and suddenly the link that goes between the
feed dog mechanism on the feed worm and the dovetailed gizmo bent
slightly and the rachet mechanism dropped below 2 Oclock..the link not
being long enough.Before I could shut it off..it busted out one side
of the dovetailed gizmo on the end of the crank. PLINK!!!

The part apparently is cast iron. So I have two options...drill and
tap, or drill and dowel pin and then braze, or make a new dovetailed

Gunner
having now seen the photo I can suggest a good repair strategy.
keep the broken off part as a souvenir to palm around as you tell the
tale. :-)
on the main piece machine the broken face away so that you have a D
shaped end.
looking at it in profile would be something like this (forgive the
ascii art)

[------------/
[ /
[ /___________________
[ ]
[ ]
[ ] ------cut or
plane off face here that would originally have been the other dovetail
cheek.

make another dovetail cheek and position it in place with a double row
of socket head cap screws.
seems a fairly easy repair to me which would give you an adjustable
dovetail.(not that you'd need one there)

Stealth Pilot