Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default Sigh..I broke my Logan Shaper

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:28:29 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:24:03 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

snip tale of woe

What should I do? Try to pin and weld the old part, or make a new
one? Buying one from Logan..is financially out of the question for
me at
this time.

I assume that you've worked your way 'round the problem by now
anyway, but ... The first order of the day is to make the arm an
inch or two longer so that the problem doesn't happen again. The
second part could well be pinning and krazy gluing the broken bits
together because they should only see a couple of pounds of force
normally. Thereafter I would be looking for a bit of continuously
cast iron bar to make an exact replacement from Just because _I_
like machining cast iron :-)

Mark Rand (part way through a weld repair of the feed gears for my
10" Royal shaper for the last two years :-
http://www.test-net.com/DSCN4816.JPG)

RTFM

I had a quart of hydroflorinated silly putty I kept tripping
over..so
formed a big ball of it, let it cure and then hacked it into shape
with an axe. Works pretty good. And I made an extension for the arm
if I ever need to drop the table all the way down again.Tounge
Depressors..that makes a great extension......

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/shaperFix.jpg

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

It didn't make it gunner - did you forget the mandatory text file???
Ken.

I got it OK.

Ken (the other one)