Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Sigh..I broke my Logan Shaper looking at Abene mill

On 27 Mar 2006 19:23:42 -0800, "Honest A Babin"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Thinking of getting an Albuine miller.

Gunner, you mean a Swiss Abene miller? I had an old one years ago with
40 taper spindle. Fancy Van Norman style rotating head machine with
ample hp for most average jobs.
Interesting thing about mine was that when the head was set at vertical
it wouldn't the arm wouldn't slide far enough forward enough to center
over or beyond the centerline of the knee. This impinged a bit on area
which could be surfaced if you follow my drift.
Otherwise a wonderful machine and the simplicity of the geneva gear
dial for changing table/knee feeds is a marvel.
Very unique design and one everyone who appreciates the unusual in
machine tool design should ponder.
Gemco shapers are hydraulic?
all the best!
Honest Al Babin
Bristol, Conn. USA

Ayup..but I believe the Albene is Swedish..I could be wrong. I think
Wayne Cook also has one.

I have a customer that has a shop you can eat from the floor..and I
already asked about the minty minty minty Hardinge UM..and he says he
is taking it home for himself..the ******* G

They are spending some serious money loading up on CNC turning and
milling centers.upgrading and streamlining..and with luck..the Albene
will be "downsized"

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3