Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default Sigh..I broke my Logan Shaper

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:24:03 GMT, Gunner wrote:

snip tale of woe

What should I do? Try to pin and weld the old part, or make a new one?
Buying one from Logan..is financially out of the question for me at
this time.

I assume that you've worked your way 'round the problem by now anyway, but ...
The first order of the day is to make the arm an inch or two longer so that
the problem doesn't happen again. The second part could well be pinning and
krazy gluing the broken bits together because they should only see a couple of
pounds of force normally. Thereafter I would be looking for a bit of
continuously cast iron bar to make an exact replacement from Just because _I_
like machining cast iron :-)

Mark Rand (part way through a weld repair of the feed gears for my 10" Royal
shaper for the last two years :- http://www.test-net.com/DSCN4816.JPG)

RTFM